Arriving at Narita

The Southern Tour - Part 4

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:40 pm

The next morning we headed out for a quick tour of Kyoto, going back with the whole family to Philosopher's Walk. On the way there you could see why Kyoto is ranked so highly for its hanami during sakura season. Some panoramas here so again control minus to see it all.

Many of the back laneways in Kyoto have small canals, and fresh flowing water seems to be always abundant.

Philosopher's Walk during the day.

And a final shot.

So seeing that it is perhaps one of the most photographed objects ever, we decided that with the short time we had in Kyoto we would go to Kinkaku-ji (the Temple of the Golden Pavilion). In some ways it made me appreciate walking the deserted streets of the city the night before; it also made me appreciate even more that we were living in Japan for a while rather than just on a 2 week tour. A massive amount of people, filling along the prescribed route, taking the same pictures from the same well worn spots. But even so, I'm very glad we went, it was impressive and I would rather see such things as a tourist than not see them at all.

The other thing I really wanted to see in Kyoto was the Arashiyama bamboo groves, combined here with the family selfie.

Next up - Okunoshima, also known as Bunny Island!
Michael
Site Admin

The Southern Tour - Part 5

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:31 am

After a short drive from our hotel in Fukuyama, we arrived in Tadanoumi, the town from where the ferries leave for Bunny Island.

The boat was leaving just as we got there, so we had an hour to wait until the next one.

It was a small boat and a short ride, but we got a great view from offshore.

And sure enough, as soon as we stepped off the boat, there were bunnies there to greet us.

And a bunny for Anna.

And a couple for Robyn.

Aside from the bunnies, the island was beautiful as well

But it was mostly about being overrun with bunnies.

And by popular demand, a montage of bunnies (all taken by Alex btw).

Next up - the southern most point in the trip.
Michael
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Travel report