Arriving at Narita

The Southern Tour - Part 6

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:30 pm

After a night in Fukuoka, we heading south to Mount Aso, the largest active volcano in Japan. A little too active so it seemed, and direct viewing was recently prohibited because of a heightened danger level. But we did want to see the huge caldera and so we headed there anyway. Unfortunately the fog was so thick, we could barely see the road. A few times the sky cleared enough to catch a picture of the rim.

And once for the caldera.

After being somewhat disappointed there, we headed to the Takachiho Gorge, which was beautiful and a lot of fun to row through. This is the start of the gorge itself.

I posted one shot of it already, here is another.

As we headed back up to our hotel in Otai, the weather cleared and we saw some wonderful blossoms.

Next up - into the cherry blossom capital, Nara prefecture.
Michael
Site Admin

The Southern Tour - Part 7

Postby Michael » Wed May 13, 2015 3:13 pm

The final part of the Southern Japan Tour starts off in Ritsurin Garden near Takamatsu, after staying in what was the smallest hotel room on our travels to date (bunk beds and a bathroom smaller than on an airplane). While somewhat contrived, the garden was a sea of cherry blossoms...although Adrianna was unimpressed as usual.

The many tress were works of art themselves.

We decided to take the bridge and go through Osaka to get to Nara; I had wanted to see the whirlpools that can often be seen underneath the Naruto bridge, but the weather was not cooperating.

A highway accident coming out of Osaka set us back several hours, and by the time we approached Yoshino in Nara there was fog and about 30 minutes of light left. As this was to be the highlight of our sakura experience we were trying to get to some scenic spots as fast as we could. We stopped at a temple near the center of Yoshino, and I raced up the hill to take some pictures. The whole area was pretty much deserted due to the time and rain, but that did give me a chance to take some shots of the buildings alone.

The grounds had a surreal feeling to them.

Heading up the mountain, we finally saw the views that makes Yoshino so famous.

But perhaps the most memorable part was a monument at the top of the hill - not really sure of its significance, but the whole area had the feeling of a graveyard.

The next day it was another ferry crossing to the Atsumi peninsula.

The weather was nice for our arrival.

However the blanket of fog returned and continued right to our hotel that we paid extra for a view of Mount Fiji. Seeing as the visibility was a few hundred feet, needless to say I have no images to post. Mount Fuji is a day trip from Tokyo, so we were not too disappointed; there will hopefully be other opportunities to visit. And after all we had seen, the trip had been rewarding enough.

Our trip through Southern Japan was over, and after a few weeks at work Golden Week began, and our adventure within an adventure began - our road trip through Australia. No shortage of photos here, and I will begin that story next.
Michael
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Travel report